But God...

"The earth is the Lord's, and the fulness thereof; the world, and they that dwell therein. For he hath founded it upon the seas, and established it upon the floods. Who shall ascend into the hill of the Lord? or who shall stand in his holy place? He that hath clean hands, and a pure heart; who hath not lifted up his soul unto vanity, nor sworn deceitfully. He shall receive the blessing from the Lord, and righteousness from the God of his salvation."
Psalm 24:1-5

As many of you know, there are changes taking place at my company. Suffice it to say, I'm always one who can find about 50 reasons (or fears) why change is not a good thing. Some are usually valid but a larger number of them simply won't happen. It's always diverting to me to find that just when I've taught others about faith, obedience, and the goodness of God that I am soon required to exercise my faith and rely on my relationship with Him.

As I was first considering the restructuring at work, I happened to hear a new song on the radio called "But God..." I'm including a link for you at the end of the post because it really touched my heart.

I've always been a "go getter." Basically, when I see something not being done, I jump in and do it. My father expressed to me multiple times as a youth that you have no right to complain about something if you haven't tried to rectify the problem first. If you've made no effort, don't fuss.

That means that I take on odd jobs from cleaning toilets to building a church website. If you could only see the many renditions the church website has endured, you'd see that it has definitely been a learning process...and one I'm still going through!

The Problem With Jumping In

The problem with my "go getter" attitude--which, by the way, is a totally acceptable personality trait in the United States where hard work equals merit--is that often I see a goal or God even gives me a vision, a promise, or a calling...and I attempt to step up to the plate and fulfill it by myself.

In the past, it's led to misunderstandings as the perfectionist in me fought to force the vision on others. Trying to create something before God's timing can cause all sorts of issues. And it's not just an American thing. It's not just a Genessa thing. It's a human thing.

Cain, a New Testament Twist

Take Cain for example. Sure, he had a jealousy problem against his brother; the scripture doesn't tell us how Abel and Cain got along. Perhaps there was miscommunication or hard feelings wrought over a lifetime. The turning point in Cain's life, however, was when he wanted to offer a sacrifice to God. To obey God's plan for sacrifice, he--being a tiller of the ground rather than a shepherd--would have had to barter for a lamb from his brother, Abel.

I've heard and possibly even taught that perhaps Cain was proud of his handiwork in the fields and felt he was offering God his best as he piled produce onto the altar. I've also taught that the reason God did not accept the sacrifice was because 1) that wasn't what he asked for and 2) the ground had been cursed so you cannot offer a cursed sacrifice to God.

However, there may be a bit more to the story. Bartering for a lamb with Abel would mean he would have to reconcile with his brother, a step he may not have been ready for.

Jesus seems to address this very situation in Matthew: "Whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire. Therefore if thou bring thy gift to the altar, and there rememberest that thy brother hath ought against thee; Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift."

Could it also be that the reason Cain's sacrifice was not accepted was the fact that he had not reconciled with his brother. Following God's plan would have naturally brought that to pass but he tried to side-step the plan of God and speed up the process by offering his version of the vision.

In the end, the shortcut led to bitterness, murder, and expulsion from his family.

Abraham and Sarah, the Global Impact of Rushing God

Cain isn't the only one who tried to rush the promises of God. Abraham and Sarah were promised a son. As they advanced in years, it must have seemed that God had either failed them or that they should do something to make the prophecy come true.

Sarah urged Abraham to take her handmaid, Hagar, as a concubine. She bore Ishmael. Later, Abraham and Sarah learned that their attempt to "make it happen" only created a nation of wild men who would eternally attack the promised son, Isaac.

This was prophesied to Hagar in Genesis 16: "Behold, thou art with child and shalt bear a son, and shalt call his name Ishmael; because the Lord hath heard thy affliction. And he will be a wild man; his hand will be against every man, and every man's hand against him."

The descendants of Ishmael continue to challenge Israel, the descendants of Isaac. Abraham and Sarah's impatience--or, as we would view it, they're initiative to jump in and make it happen--created hardship for their children!

Saul, the King Who Was All Business

Saul serves as another example. At one point during his reign, the Amalekites were set to attack Israel. It was part of God's plan, having been coerced by the Israelites to install a king rather than the prophet which God clearly preferred, that the king and the soldiers were to wait until the prophet Samuel offered a sacrifice to God before venturing into battle.

Samuel, for whatever reason, was late. Saul became impatient. He not only offered the sacrifice himself--supplanting the man of God in his life--but he charged into battle and had finished before Samuel even arrived!

Of course, he won...sort of. Hearing that Saul had already offered a sacrifice and charged ahead, Samuel caught up to him as quickly as possible. He found that Saul had grown impatient--not only with the man of God--but with God himself, thinking he knew what was best.

Not only had he sacrificed in Samuel's place but he had directly disobeyed God's command concerning the Amalekites. God had directed that all the Amalekites were to be destroyed, including the animals. Saul, however, spared many.

On the history books, Saul won the battle but hear what God said via his prophet: "And Samuel said, When thou wast little in thine own sight, wast thou not made the head of the tribes of Israel, and the Lord anointed thee king over Israel?...Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, and to hearken than the fat of rams. For rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft, and stubbornness is as iniquity and idolatry. Because thou hast rejected the word of the Lord, he hath also rejected thee from being king."

We find that Saul's haste proved a turning point for him. He grew further and further from God. In fact, true to Samuel's words, we find him consulting the witch of Endor later in his life. He had truly turned to witchcraft through his impatience.

Usually the One to Rush In

Now, I have to admit, I'm usually the first one to jump in and try to make things happen. In this situation though, uncertainty and the scriptures God had recently brought to my heart weighed heavily on me, rendering me immobile...except for prayer.

This situation tore me right down the middle. The best possible solution was intimidating yet the worst was very frightening. I was uncertain of a promotion because of all my other obligations and a very big obligation--the two loves of my life, my hubby and Ethan. I didn't want to get in over my head. At the same time, I feared someone else taking my supervisor's place because you never know how that can alter your 'norm,' as it were. So, the past week I've been praying...for God to sort it out because I didn't know which was best for me: promotion, staying where I was, or who knows what else could happen!

Today, miraculously and in a way that I didn't realize my company could work, all my prayers were answered. God gave me a promotion--though different than I imagined. Also, God did it in such a way that I am still blessed to work at home sometimes with my son. He also made a way so that I can grow into my new role rather than being consumed by it.

Can I just say that God is awesome? Whatever you're facing--even if you don't know what to pray for--place it into God's hands and watch him work! If you're going to size up the options you see before you, make sure you leave room for option D: None of the above because God has a better plan!

As the song says, we may each be facing a mountain But God....


You were about to lose everything...But God...
When the doctor said any day...But God...
And the devil tried to test your faith...But God...


Popular Posts

Image

Stone's Folly