A Pecking Order or a Sheepfold?

Have you ever heard the term ‘pecking order?’ Usually, it means the hierarchical structure of an organization or group, but it originates from the chicken coup. Yes, a literal one!

This past weekend, we took my son to a farm on the south side of Lubbock to see a newborn donkey, the cutest, fuzziest foal you’ve ever seen! Ethan, of course, wouldn’t get near it but chased the Boxer puppy around the entire time!

At one point during our visit, we were able to look into the chicken coup. Rhode Island Reds filled the pen and the coup alike. At first, I was amazed by the beauty of the spectacle until one haggard little hen approached the fence.

Her comb was bleeding, there were hardly any feathers left atop huge red sores all over her body, and even her wings were plucked down to their shafts. It was almost a gruesome sight. The farmer, seeing our interest, explained that every group of chickens chooses the weakest hen to be pecked until she dies. When she dies, they choose the next weakest and begin the process over again.

At our protest, he explained that he and a few other farmers would rotate their chickens so that the weakest hen wouldn't die. They would always save the ‘chosen one’ in time and transport her to another flock to regain her strength and health.

It seems that no matter the type of chicken—Rhode Island Red, Buckeyes, Iowa Blues, you name it—this pattern of pecking one weak link to death continues.

Chicken Coup or Sheepfold

Upon reflection, I found it interesting that God only uses chickens or roosters within a limited context in scripture. There is, of course, the cock that crows after Peter has denied the Lord three times.

Otherwise, the only other reference to a hen is that God desired to gather Israel as a hen gathers her brood under her wings. It was a gathering together of one’s children and definitely not symbolic of this cruel pecking ritual.

Instead, the church is likened to a sheepfold. There are several key differences between the chicken and the sheep:

Sheep are herbivores. They do not feed on flesh or on other sheep. I’ve been present in churches before that, similar to the chickens, will develop clicks, choose a target saint, and will attempt to pick them to pieces with their actions and their words. These attacks can indeed lead to spiritual death as the target becomes weakened and eventually falls away. Sometimes I come across blog posts by ex-Christians and I wonder if this phenomenon happened to them.
True sheep, however, are nurturers by nature. In fact, as a church we are supposed to birth spiritual children but often we lack the caring exhibited by sheep.
o First, the mother-child relationship (how the church-saint relationship should be) is very affectionate and caring. The mother ewe becomes extremely distressed when she cannot find her young. She doesn't simply bring them into the world and then expect them to just survive on their own.
o Second, studies have shown that sheep can remember at least 50 distinct faces of other sheep and they retain this memory for up to 2 years. The study ended after 2 years so the time may be even longer. How soon we forget those who stray among us rather than holding them in our hearts, our memories, and our prayers!
o Sheep will even self-medicate. When a sheep is ill, scientists have found that either that sheep (if he is able) or the sheep around him (if he is incapacitated) will seek out foods that will remedy the problem. They will even cuddle up to those whose body temperatures are dipping.
o Finally, sheep are known to adopt or foster stray lambs that have become lost from their family or flock. There is a compulsion to make sure each sheep is included and taken care of.

This is completely alien to the chicken coup but is what the kingdom of God is likened to repeatedly. We should exhibit each of the tendencies of sheep and follow our Master's call wherever it may lead.

The church should abstain from becoming a hen house. While we may not physically peck someone with a real beak, our words have the power to heal as well as to kill.

When a brother or sister makes a mistake, it is hard enough to come to the altar and repent. Must we add the additional element of fear that others have seen their mistake and may use it against them later on? Must we constantly be looking over our shoulder in fear of one another?

This is why Proverbs 18:21 says that “death and life are in the power of the tongue.”

I heard a beautiful song the other day called “I Speak Life.” The chorus is quite simple:
I speak life. You’re going to live, oh, my brother, my sister.
I speak life. You are the head and not the tail. You will prevail.
I speak life. Don’t give up the fight for your life. You shall live and not die.

It speaks of a prophetic word coming from our mouths but, whether true prophecy or simply encouraging words, what we say can become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

If you tell a child he is a failure (perhaps not in those words but there are many that are used) enough times, he will fail simply from the pressure.

If you tell someone he is sick and dying enough times, he will grow to believe it. The world is full of those with psycho-somatic illnesses where the physical symptoms are very real but they are brought on by the state of the mind alone.

One of the most mind-blowing scriptures to me is Joshua 24:15: “Choose you this day whom ye will serve…” That phrase alone tells me that I have a choice everyday.

Today, I choose to not only live for God but I choose to speak life so that others will either find a path to God through my kindness or will be encouraged to continue in their walk with him.

I choose to wrap up the forsaken with my faithful friendship.

I choose to keep my tongue silent when others mess up and give them a chance to repent without being the subject I discuss over lunch.

I choose to teach holiness, faithfulness, love, kindness, and the power of the Holy Ghost to offer a fresh start as much by my actions and words in day-to-day life as by my words in the pulpit.

I choose to speak life so that God’s house in my city remains a safe harbor.

I choose to speak comfort in sincerity to those in need.

I choose to listen when others need me without needing to repeat their concerns to others because I want to be a safe place myself for the hurting.

I choose to speak life in word and deed…and those words will make a difference.

You and I have a choice. No matter who you are with, your words can turn the conversation from negative to positive...or you can simply choose to walk away. It's a choice what we want our lives to be, what we want our church to be.

Psalm 133:1 “Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity!”

It's amazing how our world now mocks people they consider to have a "sheep" mentality yet that kindness, gentleness, patience, and willingness to follow the shepherd is what we are called to be.

Popular Posts

Image

Stone's Folly